Child Custody

Fargo Child Custody Attorney

Protecting Parents’ Rights & Children’s Best Interests

Child in Custody with FatherDetermining child custody is one of the most contentious aspects of any divorce or paternity dispute. The outcome of a custody case can have a profound impact on you, your family, and your future. Protect your relationship with your child by retaining a family law firm you can count on.

At Circling Eagle Law, we represent parents in both amicable and contentious custody cases. Whether you need representation while resolving disagreements through mediation or you need an aggressive advocate to fight for you in court, we are the firm to call.

Reach out to us today at (701) 401-7404 or contact us online to get started.

How Is Custody Determined in North Dakota?

You and the other parent of your child are encouraged to work out custody arrangements together. You can present these arrangements to the court for approval.

Of course, many parents struggle to agree on fair arrangements, each parent craving more time with their child. In these situations, the courts will intervene and determine custody on the parents’ behalf.

At What Age Can a Child Decide Which Parent to Live With in North Dakota?

The court in North Dakota might find a ten-year-old mature enough to express appreciation in one child custody case but find otherwise regarding a 13-year-old in another case. Unfortunately, there are no hard-and-fast rules regarding the age at which a child is considered mature enough to testify to a preference regarding residential responsibility.

What Types of Custody Can Be Awarded?

There are two types of custody: legal and physical custody. Simply explained, legal custody deals with decision-making for your child such as the right to make decisions regarding the child’s upbringing, religion, medical, education, etc. Whereas, physical custody is the physical time and custody with the child.

Doing What Is Best for Your Child & Your Family

At the heart of any child custody case is the child’s best interests. Any parent’s priority should be to protect their children and do what is best for them. That said, you have rights as a parent – and you should not have to compromise those rights or be manipulated into accepting a custody arrangement that violates your rights.

Our child custody attorneys in Fargo can listen to your story, understand your hopes and goals, and develop a comprehensive strategy to help you achieve those goals. We are skilled negotiators who are not afraid to take a stand to protect your rights but most importantly, the best interest of your child(ren).

Can I Modify a Custody Order?

Yes, once custody arrangements have been finalized, you will eventually have the right to seek a modification. The modification process can be complex, since you must prove a substantial change in circumstances that necessitates the modification, prior to the Court considering your request.

Can I Move Away When I Have Custody of My Child?

If you wish to relocate more than a certain specified distance from your existing residence, you will need to obtain approval from the child’s other parent or the court. Relocating requires modifying your child custody order – which can only be done with court approval. Courts will only grant a relocation request if there is a genuine need for the move and in the child(ren)’s best interest.

Do Grandparents Have Custody or Visitation Rights?

In North Dakota, grandparents can request access to their grandchildren by petitioning for visitation rights. Courts will only grant visitation rights to a grandparent if they believe it is in the child’s best interests.

Do you have more questions about child custody in North Dakota? Call Circling Eagle Law at (701) 401-7404 today.

Take the First Step

Contact Us Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.